My .xls file email attachments are converted to _xls .

General discussion about file extensions and file formats.
Forum rules
1. English language only please
2. No spam, advertisement or inappropriate material
3. No trolling and flaming
guambr

My .xls file email attachments are converted to _xls .

Post by guambr »

When I send .xls files from Microsoft Excel as an email attachment, some of the recipients find that they have been converted to _xls and some recipients get them as .xls. I have read that some email clients convert them as a virus prevention measure but I can't find out which email clients do this. Some of the recipients who find them converted are using Microsoft Office 2010 and Outlook email. We know how to change the file extension from _xls back to .xls to work around the problem but can't determine how it happens in the first place. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks BR
Malric

Re: My .xls file email attachments are converted to _xls .

Post by Malric »

Hi guambr,
there is probably some settings enabled in your e-mail client (like Outlook), that keeps renaming attachments so they are not associated with any program on the recipient computer. It's usually just a simply rename procedure. It might also be possible that the e-mail client of the recipient does that, so it's them who would have to turn this function off. However, I wouldn't recommend it. Because you can simply rename the files from verified senders, but you are secure against malware and spyware spam that sometimes puts executable attachments to e-mails.